The Hollywood Reporter’s Heat Vision Blog reports that director/producer Michael Bay will be producing a new alien abduction film with the working title CONFIDENTIAL ALIEN PROJECT. Paramount Pictures is said to be behind the project, and a treatment was penned by newcomer Bobby Glickert. Also producing will be Brad Fuller and Andrew Form of Platinum Dunes.
While not much is known about the film at this point, the mere idea of Bay working on an alien story does make one wonder what sorts of theatrics might lie ahead…
Talk about speedy work as The Wrap have the scoop that a sequel to the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET remake is being planned a mere five days since its release. The news of a sequel doesn’t come as too much of a surprise, since the film has done so well at the box office, and neither does the news it’s possibly, that’s right, to be shot in 3D.
Distribution president at Warner Bros, Dan Fellman, tells The Wrap,
“We don’t have a story yet, but this is the largest horror opening in the April-May corridor, and it just proves there’s a lot left in the franchise”.
“Platinum Dunes is very open to the possibility of a NIGHTMARE sequel. It would be amazing to work with Jackie and the cast again. Unfortunately, as far as we know right now, Sam wouldn’t be back to direct the follow-up, but we’d love to come back to Elm Street because Freddy always has a story to tell. We definitely left ourselves open for a sequel so it would be a great privilege to get to do another NIGHTMARE film.”
Fellow producer, Brad Fuller, added,
I think that making the NIGHTMARE sequel in 3D is a bigger discussion than for right here. We think that 3D movies have to be designed and written as such. If Eric Heisserer and Wesley Strick came to us with a NIGHTMARE script that is for a 3D movie, we’d be fools not to make it.”
It’s seems you can count on Hollywood for two things these days. First, it’s that they’ll milk a cash cow for all it’s worth if they think there’s mileage left in it. By all accounts the NOES remake is pretty terrible but since it’s made a lot of money they’re obviously going to drag the franchise out as long as they can. Secondly, any film that’s being made right now is at least being considered for 3D and hey, probably even one’s that have already been made (here’s looking at you, CLASH OF THE TITANS).
“I think that making the Nightmare sequel in 3D is a bigger discussion than for right here in this room. We think that 3D movies have to be designed and written as such. If Eric (Heisserer) and Wesley (Strick) came to us with a Nightmare sequel script that is for a 3D movie, we’d be fools not to make it.”
ShockTillYouDrop.Com reports that Michael Bay’s Platinum Dunes productions and Warner Brothers Studios have agreed to make the previously announced remake of A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET their next project. Wesley Strick (CAPE FEAR) will write the screenplay, which is expected to go before the cameras in Chicago this spring. Says producer Brad Fuller:
“It’s like what we’re doing to Friday the 13th,” says Fuller. “It’s not Freddy cracking jokes. We want to make a horrifying movie. The concept is so scary, don’t fall asleep or you’ll die. This guy gets you when you’re most vulnerable, in your sleep. We love that. That’s the basis of the movie. It’ll be most similar to the first one but in terms of kills and dreams we’ll borrow from the entire series.”
Apparently, Warner Brothers’ decision to go ahead with the project was based in part upon positive response to test screenings for the FRIDAY THE 13TH remake. Robert Englund will not return as Freddy Krueger, but he may get some other role in the film.
Stuart Wood at CinemaBlend.com is less than optimistic about the news, decrying the lack of originality. I say, with Strick on the script, this one is at least worthy of the benefit of the doubt.